Thursday, December 6, 2007

Week #6 - Library 2.0

We covered a lot of the 2.0 technologies in one of my Library School papers last semester, so most of this course has been relatively familiar to me, but I had an interesting experience yesterday. We had to visit the Philson Library and search for the answers to a list of medical reference queries for my Health Information class using the textbooks available at the library...

Now, until then, I would probably have added a little bit more icy coldness in support fo the "just in case" iceberg mentioned in the first article. It just seemed so wrong not to have a physical collection as well as a digital one. But wow. Those anatomy textbooks are SO UNWEILDY and horribly heavy and replaced every couple of years with new editions. I actually found my fingers twitching as I trying to hit 'cntrl + f' while searching one page for the phrase 'arteria labialis superior' in the ginormous Gray's Anatomy.

I am now firmly of the opinion that every reference text should be digital :D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A good example of how the digital world can enable library users and not simply compete with or replace our traditional services.