Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Week #8 - Web 2.0 Tools

Teeehee, naturally I was drawn to the games section of the Web 2.0 Awards and can confirm that yes, Guess-the-Google is as addictive as advertised... It basically shows you a montage of 20 pictures and you have to guess the keyword that would have been entered to find them in a Google Image search. Some, like 'mullet', were painfully obvious, but there were a couple that I couldn't work out. I wonder if it repeats... Although I am tempted to keep playing until I can beat today's high score 380, I shall settle for being ranked in third with 369. Maybe.

I don't really see how Guess-a-Google would be relevant to libraries so I had a wee looksee at Statsaholic and tried to do a website traffic comparison for the ACL, North Shore and Waitakere Library websites. It didn't really work though because it would only register a comparison between "aucklandcitylibraries.com" and ".govt.nz" not "waitakerelibs.govt.nz" or "shorelibraries.govt.nz". They have some pretty neat examples though: in a comparison between myspace, facebook, and friendster, myspace is kicking arse although facebook is gaining ground. Oh if only I had popcorn to watch the RACE TO THE FINISH!

Hehehe, I have no idea if this information is accurate, and there are probably all kinds of qualifiers that should be taken into account, but it's pretty fun to play with :D And maaaybe if libraries are trying to Stay Up With The Play and were going to set up a library page on a social networking site it might be worth seeing which site is used more heavily.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great work around web 2.0, not long to go