Saturday, December 15, 2007

Week #9 - Podcasts

I looked into podcasts when I first bought my ipod, but yeaaah, I downloaded a couple of episodes through itunes never got around to listening to them. I think it might have worked a little better if I walked to work, but the sound quality wasn't really good enough to compete with the noises on my bus. And listening to the history of the spanish civil war in spanish at 8am was a little hard. Far too sleepy to concentrate properly.

But! I discoverd that one of my favourite authors, Mercedes Lackey, has a new book out - as a podcast only: The Secret World Chronicles. Actually, it seems more like a comic book series, which is probably even more suited to the podcast format. But metahumans, with super powers? And a fiery website? Awesome! I haven't been able to download the episodes to my ipod though. Oh wait, in subscript just above the episode list, they tell you how to do it. *happy sigh*. I don't think I could love this author more.

As for the proper sites.. Podcast.net had a pretty extensive collection, but the titles that I liked turned out to have been the author's passing fancy in 2006, with no updates since then :( And the ads were hideous. A flashing pink "Is your love cheating on you?!" banner is very distracting. Podcast Alley had a nicer layout (and better ads) but I had the same problem with great looking titles turning out to be one-off events. But yay for Yahoo! They include the last published date in the search results. Hooyaah! We have found a winner!

I've added The Secret World Chronicles to my Bloglines account as requested, and to my Google Reader account because I'll actually check that one :D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a big discovery exercise for you and one worthwhile. not long to the end!