Thursday, December 6, 2007

Week #7 - Wikis

The St. Joseph County Public Library wiki is amazingly detailed. I really like how you can track changes and to the wiki although there aren't as many nifty screen names on the SJCPL wiki as Wikipedia.. It's not really about the wiki, but their Ask a Librarian page is fantastic - you can contact the librarians by email, phone, in person, or Instant Messenger! So cool! Although it took me a long time to realise that 'asksjcpl' was not just random text but rather 'ask st joseph county public library'...

I liked the idea of this Web 2.0 programme from the very beginning - it's such a good opportunity for everyone to get involved and help each other out with the tasks as well as making us more accessible to our patrons. But I've discovered a very lovely side effect. I heart libraries. More than ever. It's so great to see all of these examples of other libraries jumping on the bandwagon, leading the charge, upping the ante, mixing the metaphors...

Even Library School is getting jiggy with it. Our class last semester on Digital Publishing had a course blog and wiki. And our wiley profession ensured that we learn how to use the wiki by making us post our presentation topic there. Not that I think any of my Dear Readers will follow this link, but my topic was Google Book Search. It was pretty cool to track the changes as I was posting my entry - and reassuring to see that someone else presenting on the same day was also editing their page at midnight...

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Oooo, you ARE super sly!

Unknown said...

Great work! Glad you are more in love with libraries than before! :)